Wednesday 10 July 2013

How to make... Slippers!

For me money has been a bit on the low side, and learning how to crochet has meant that when it comes to birthdays, you can create something unique to that person, and only pay for the wool! And at this point the only type I was using was Acrylic, which can be found affordable anywhere.

The recipient was female and so decided the appropriate gift was a pair of slippers! In this case what was good about the wool I selected was that it was completely machine washable and can be put in the tumble dryer! Which is what you need when something is being used constantly with feet.

This is the You Tube video I followed :

Being on my own and learning from no background in craft at all, You Tube has been a blessing for me - as I have yet to even learn proper crochet lingo - especially when it comes to patterns! (Something that will become obvious to in due course)

The slipper design is very simple but it teaches you two very important things:
How to crochet a circle
How to Slip Stitch

Which leads me on to my second part of the design...
A flower!


This is such a nice basic flower design! And actually not too difficult to make (but required all of my concentration at first)

When I was making the slippers I was really quite unwell (Not a virus I hasten to add!), with some time off work I was able to sit down, with a film, and crochet.
So this is why everyone likes it so much! It's therapeutic.

The recipient was amazed, not only because I could crochet, but because I got the size right and made something unique to her. To this day she reminds me of how comfortable the slippers are, and how she wears them all the time.

A brilliant gift - all for the bargain price of £1.80 (And some hours of my time...)

No comments:

Post a Comment